In the world of content marketing, brands are constantly competing to have the most engaging, shareable content, with new trends arising on a regular basis. Standing out amongst these trends is video marketing, an approach that aims to increase engagement by incorporating video content into the mix. This method of communicating to consumers has taken the industry by storm, as it transitioned from being a secondary marketing tactic to a primary focus. Marketers are quickly learning that video marketing is an invaluable tool for any brand, as it not only heightens brand awareness but also allows brands to connect with prospects. In fact, more than 50% of consumers want to see videos from brands, more than any other type of content.
Cultivating an understanding of video marketing is crucial for digital marketers who aim to produce and distribute engaging content that will resonate with their audience. Like it or not, brands today must incorporate video in their marketing strategies in order to remain competitive and relevant. Unlike other forms of content, with video consumers don’t have to work as hard to interpret the information being presented to them. In fact, studies show that video posts on Facebook have 135 percent greater organic reach than photo posts. Not to mention, after viewing videos, consumers can provide reactions and comments in real time, increasing engagement and communication between your brand and your target audience. The key is to keep your audience connected to your brand as it moves and evolves through the social sphere.
Not only is video content easily absorbed by the viewer, but it also works. Simply put, video content provides actionable responses from consumers. Companies using video content experience a 41 percent increase in traffic through web searches compared to others who don’t include video content in their marketing efforts. In addition to click-through traffic, video content also promotes social sharing. In fact, 92 percent of mobile video consumers share videos with others. Since consumers are significantly more receptive to video content, the viewers of these videos eventually turn into loyal customers if the overall strategy is executed effectively.
So How Can You Effectively Execute a Video Marketing Strategy?
With new research constantly emerging, it’s essential to stay informed about the latest and greatest video marketing practices. Here are some of the most important tips you need to know in order to execute a stellar video marketing campaign:
- Be authentic: Have you ever watched a video that seemed synthetic and overdone? It’s always better to produce videos that are simple and raw. Don’t be afraid to use your smartphone to create video content. In fact, consumers actually prefer videos that are of lesser physical quality, because it generally equates to genuineness.
- Tell a story: The main goal of video content is to inspire your audience and foster meaningful connections. You can do this by telling a story within your video, instead of regurgitating information. One motto you should follow is “story first, brand second.” In other words, focus on providing a valuable message, and don’t shove your brand identity elements in the viewer’s face. Whether your brand is a product, organization, or even an institution, there is always a story to be told.
- Focus on one topic: Don’t confuse the viewer; hone in on one specific topic in your video. This will allow you to get your point across in the most straight-forward way possible. There are many types of videos to choose from, including event videos, product videos, and explainer videos, just make sure to focus on one at a time.
- Limit the length: People have short attention spans, so you have to make sure you are monitoring the length of your videos in accordance with your audience. Each social media platform has a different ideal length, and shorter videos generally have higher conversion rates.
- Add a call-to-action: In order for your video to be actionable and measurable, you need to include a call-to-action at the end of your video. This can be a clickable button, as well as your contact information.
- Distribute effectively: Finally, make sure to distribute your video across all relevant social platforms, tailoring your posts carefully to each.
Using video content in your marketing efforts gives you the power to increase brand awareness while connecting with consumers on a personal level. Essentially, video content provides a real-life, behind the scenes view of what’s going on with your brand, and encourages your audience to get involved. If you’re looking to incorporate the latest digital marketing trends and bring your brand to life, including video marketing in your strategy is a great place to start.
Jenna Carey is a senior marketing major with a minor in writing & rhetoric at the University of Rhode Island. She is currently interning as a member of the Incentric Digital social team, and intends to use her passion for social media marketing to make the most of her experience. When she’s not creating social content calendars, you can find Jenna drinking iced coffee at the beach, no matter the season!